Chase Our Dreams

I am a deeply analytical thinker.  Sometimes this is great and sometimes its awful.  But the one thing I hate about being wired so logically is that it has inhibited my ability to dream.  My mind is logical, but my heart is dreaming.  Some of my biggest dreams appear unrealistic.  One of my biggest dreams has always been to encourage people on a grand stage.  I dream to be able to encourage thousands of people at a time!  In my mind, this looked like a stadium filled with people.  That was, and still is, my dream, but it seemed pretty unrealistic.  I was (and still am) satisfied with working with the 20-40 Jr. High and High School kids I see every week.  That is my “grand stage” and I am thankful for that.  But, I believe we have these inner most desires, these passions, for a reason.

Then, February 4th, 2014 I was sitting in the back of my personal finance class with my laptop open and all of the sudden it hit me.  “Why don’t you write a letter to your future wife? There are so many things you want to tell her, why don’t you let her know?”  So, while the echoes of “building a budget” bounced off the walls, I started writing some of the truths I wanted my wife to understand.  Little did I know that hundreds of thousands of people would read that letter.  You can find that letter here

Get off the brakes.  Last weekend I went mountain bike riding for the second time in my life with with a couple of my best friends.  I can ride a bike pretty well, but when you are flying down the backside of a mountain it gets a little scary.  My friend gave me one tip throughout the whole day, “Try to stay off your brakes as much as possible.”  What?  I’m not at an expert, but I know that if you are going down a hill and you aren’t using your brakes, you are going to start going faster and faster and faster.  That doesn’t sound appealing to me.  But there was a concept behind it.  When you are on your brakes the whole time, it causes your tires to slide and you lose control.  So, its better to brake occasionally than to be stuck on the brakes the whole time.

I noticed this is how I live my life sometimes.  I’m riding the brakes in hopes of helping myself but I’m really just hurting myself.  It is hard to put your heart out there for everyone to see.  At one point, after the letter had been read about 3,000 times, I was considering taking the “To My Future Wife” post down.  It was getting a lot of controversy and people were attacking my character as a pastor and as an individual.  I didn’t like being attacked, I wasn’t used to it, and I wanted to put on the brakes.  But I didn’t.  I battled in prayer and let it ride.  A few weeks later the post would be read 600,000 times and counting.  I wouldn’t say this was a dream come true, but I was definitely blessed by it.  And I have been super blessed by the friends that have come out of it.  But that never would have happened if I didn’t keep off the brakes when it got tough.  Don’t be scared to take a chance.  Don’t be scared to face a little opposition.  You never know when you will run into  a moment that could shape your life forever!

Sometimes we just have to follow the words of the great prophet Dory from “Finding Nemo” and “just keep swimming.”  Even when it sucks.  Just keep going.  We don’t know how its going to work, we don’t know what is going to happen, but we just need to keep going.  Keep trying.  Keep living.  Keep praying.  Keep studying.  Keep loving.  KEEP GOING!

The best day to start chasing your dream was yesterday.  Ever since I was 15-years old, I wanted to be a youth pastor.  As an 18-year old walking into college I knew this, but I was constantly telling myself you’re too young.  You’re not mature enough.  You don’t know enough.  You don’t speak well enough.  You don’t _______.  You haven’t ______.  You’ve never ________.  Whatever it was, I was constantly telling myself “when I’m older, when I’m wiser, when I know more, when the opportunity presents itself.”  But, what I’ve learned is that we are always telling ourselves “when I’m older” until one day we wake up and say “if I was younger.”  You’re old enough.  You’re smart enough.  You have what it takes, just go for it!  The best day to start chasing your dream was yesterday, but the second best day is today.  So get started.  It’s not too late.  It’s not too early.  Do what you want to do!  Do what you were made to do!  I believe God designed everyone with a specific heart and a specific plan, do what you were born to do!  Do what you love to do.  No more excuses.  No more “maybe tomorrow,” right now!  Pick up the phone and make that phone call.  Fill out that college application.  Write that resignation letter.  Whatever it is that you need to do to chase your dreams, do it.  And so will I.

One life, one chance.  We get one chance at this thing we call life.  Spend it doing something you love.  I understand sometimes we have to sacrifice a little bit of time to wait for our opportunities, but if you have spent the last ten years waiting for your big break, maybe you should try and cultivate your dreams a little bit differently.  There are so many quotes about taking chances in life and here is mine: I would rather fail at everything I love than succeed at everything people told me to do.  This is your life.  One life, one chance.

Chasing dreams is something I am currently learning to understand in my own life so I hope it encourages you!  If it does, feel free to share with your friends!

Like me on Facebook here

Follow me on Twitter here

Advertisements

11 Comments Add yours

1. jasmine says:

Really encouraging! Thank you. I guess ive come to that point where the only dreams I have are out of my hands. And it seems that the only real dream I have right now is to be a caring, godly wife. It almost sounds ridiculous at 21. But I’ve never had any dream to be an astronaut, to be a doctor, own a house..etc. it seems that I’m in a lull of waiting, wondering, trying to be patient. Not knowing, but trusting Gods plans what ever they are. All I can do is look to him. And wait.and it sucks, but if it’s right, it’s right. I’m willing to molded, and do whatever, just trusting his perfect plan 🙂

Fighting his plans only left me exhausted, so I’m just willing to wait now.

And just saying, I think you’re letter to your future wife was very courageous.

Okay, commentary rant over. 🙂
    -jasmine

2. Drew, Kelsey N says:

Hi Birdie!!

Here’s another blog for that guy that wrote the letter to his future wife.

Love you lots and lots!

3. Anonymous says:

Loved the part about getting off the brakes and the whole prophet dory “just keep swimming.”

4. nikki2422 says:

The prophet Dory hahaha. Your post brought Mandisa’s song “Waiting For Tomorrow” to mind. If you say you’ll start tomorrow, chances are you’ll never start.

5. ThePixie says:

I came across your blog by the letter which a friend of mine shared on FB. You sir, are awesome. When you start getting the hate along with the praise, you know you’re reaching a lot of people, and that is a good thing. Try not to let the hate get to you.

Also, reading this was really encouraging for me today. Thank you for taking the time to share it.

6. letsflyxaway says:

This was awesome! I needed to see this!

7. Ashley Goff says:

Hey Brett,
    I’ve just recently started to read your blog. All I can say is, wow. You feel The Lord working through you in all of your posts. It’s very encouraging, so I want to say thank you. But here’s some food for thought. Didn’t Jesus have opposition when He was on this earth? Didn’t the Pharisees and others mock him? Twist his words? Jesus had not only his 12 disciples, but he had multitudes following Him! As Christians and just as people in general, we are all going to have our own Pharisees and discriminations. But isn’t there a call out to be like our Lord? Just remember, if Jesus can do it, we can! He suffered through all of it and came out of it like gold. I’m not saying you’re handling this badly, I’m just giving you some encouragement. Good job, Brett.

8. EDITH ZAMORA says:

THANK YOU!!!! YOU’VE CHANGED MY LIFE , I THINK YOUR LETTER ,THE LORD USED IT FOR ALL THE GIRLS WHO ARE CALLED TO BE ESTHERS AND WAIT FOR THERE IS A GREAT CALLING ON THEIR LIFES FOR THE PRINCE THAT IS GOING TO SHOW UP IS NOT ONLY GOING TO BE THE LOVE OF THEIR LIFES BUT A CALLING AND A MISSION LIKE QUEEN ESTHER!!!!SOMETIMES IT FEELS LIKE WERE GOING TO GET TIRED OF WAITING BUT YOUR LETTER GAVE ME A SECOND WIND , AND ALL WE NEED IS FOR US TO LET JESUS USE US FOR OTHER TIRED WARRRRRIORS!!!!THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YOUR LETTER GAVE ME A SECOND WIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP UP THE GOOOOOOOOD JOURNEY !!!!!!!GOD BLESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS YOU AND GOD SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!!!!!

9. digginit4him says:

Brett,
    Just wanted to say thanks for not deleting that letter! The letter is and will continue to be an inspiration! Also, thanks for the encouragement of chasing your dreams, it was a great reminder!
    God Bless,
    Digginit4him @ http://pinkturtle0051.wordpress.com

10. Wow your letter is awesome! So I just wanted to encourage you. God will send you the right person, and I think your values are ones that God desires for every man to want! Its refreshing to see another man of integrity! I say another because I am married to a one! 🙂 Its been 5 years of awesome marriage! We are serving in the ministry together full throttle and love every minute! We have no doubt God made us for each other. Who we each are fits perfectly together. God is using us together, and we help each other fulfill God’s purpose. So I can say this because my husband and I are a success story with this principal- God DOES have someone he is preparing for you. Make sure not to miss her because you settled for someone else. Seek God first about any girl you want to persue and ask Him to show you if she is the one He has for you. And when God does speak to you that she’s the one, don’t tell her. Cuz that can make a girl feel like your pushy or manipulative. (Just a side note- cuz i HAVE seen that happen) lol .. Also pray for your wife whoever she is, if you dont already, that God would cause her to fall in love with Him first before you. And remember that God has a plan for the 2 of you together. This plan is not just for loving each other, but a plan that requires the two of you together to run together as one force, winning souls to Christ, and building God’s kingdom. I wish you the best!! God bless you!

11. daisyofgrace says:

Hey, I love your posts and have nominated you for this award! Check it out 😀 http://daintydaisyofgrace.wordpress.com/2014/04/04/quartet-of-radiance-award/